Spectrum Spinalong

If you have joined the Spunky Eclectic Fiber-of-the-Month Club, spin this month's Project Spectrum fiber and talk about it here! Or spin anything in the Project Spectrum Color of the Month (May is Green) and let us see what you get!

Monday, May 01, 2006

Sample Skeins

I had a bit of time today to begin to spin up samples. Here's what I got. I couldn't get very good color representation on the photos, sorry. The first picture is, from left to right, Green Gables plied with itself, spun from the fold; combination drafted with some BFL dyed turquoise, yellow and yellow orange with Easter Egg dyes, plied on itself; and the same two rovings combination drafted as sportweight singles.



The yellow in the original roving really disappears in the spinning and plying. I think the combination draft/plied sample looks a bit more like the original roving than the original roving does! The singles are okay, but having to be soft spun so as not to be overtwisted, they are too matte looking for my taste.

The next photo is Green Gables combination drafted with some BFL from Paradise Fibers in Yellow/Red/Green/Blue/Purple space dyed and plied on itself. It's okay. I've made some yarn like this in Color in Spinning experiments, but I would rather do this with a yarn that was primarily red or purple than green.












The last picture is of my favorites. I dug up some space dyed merino in green/blue/yellow and combination drafted and plied on itself on the left. That's nice. Doesn't look like the original roving, though, which has no blue. Then I decided to spin the rovings separately and ply them together. This is my favorite so far.



Next I will try spinning separately then plying with the orignal roving and the yellow/orange/turquoise stuff from the first picture. It might not look green enough, then, but I'll see.

What are you coming up with?

3 Comments:

  • At 6:43 AM, Blogger Brewer said…

    Holy cow! Great yarn! The Fam here decided that they would rather eat the last few days than look at yarn, so I haven't got anymore yarn to show off. It's raining again today so maybe I'll get a chance today.

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said…

    I knew I probably wouldn't get back to it this week, so I took the chance when I had it, dirty house or not!

    I do have that one more sample I've thought of, though...Tuesdays are hard. I babysit a friend's 14 m.o. in the morning, then Kindermusic, then school gets out early. But we'll see...

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Blogger Wendy Stackhouse said…

    Oh, and none of those skeins are more than 11 yards long (the first one). Mostly they are five or six.

    Have a great day!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home